Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preferential Bidding System

Default Preferential Bidding System

I understand that several airlines (including AC, HP, QF being just a few) use a preferential bidding system (PBS) .. we at AS are contemplating changing over to a PBS system.

What can you tell me about it? How well does it work? Can you tell me the good, bad, and (dare I ask this) ugly about it?

Also, if you could give a general sense of where you stand in seniority it'd be appreciated. Trying to get a feel for how the PBS program works for the middle of the pack to the junior FAs... of course it'd work great for the middle to the seniors!

Thanks again for your help!

I posted this in the AC forum as well... if any company who uses a PBS has it's own forum, pls let me know and I'll jump in there and ask around more!

thx!

Default Re: Preferential Bidding System

This would be beneficial to me also. SkyWest just starting the testing phase of PBS and hope to have it online this spring.

Do you use a similiar system? What do you think?

I dont have it with us however I have a friend who climbed the cabin ranks to include trainer up to purser then up to Cabin Director.. at the time.. the highest rank. Due to a review of positions the rank of Cabin Director was removed and then came back to purser. He decided to take another option and head back in to economy to have a more relaxed environment to work.. you know.. where pepsi is expected in a can not the crystal drink wear.. anyway his still has his huge wage and a high rank on the Preferential Bidding System. He basically does his duty hours in the first two weeks of the month. He does the trips he wants and is able to stay home once his hours are completed. BUT! by saying that he floggs himself to death for those weeks, his stayovers are short, his meals are common easy type meals and he saves a lot as he eats cheaply and keeps the rest of his allowence. He likes how he can bid and do longer runs to get his hours quicker. He likes the fact that he can enjoy two weeks out of the month... He sleeps for 2 days when he comes back.. and is a real grumpy grum when he has to have his turn on standby. His relationship has improved as there is space.. and his partner loves him going away...
    So I dont know if this is the types of stuff you are after but there is good sides and bad sides to it.. Just remember that it is a prilivage not an entitlement.

Our system at AC is still line bidding, so outdated. I used to work for Canadain Airlines International before Ac bought us and we had the BEST PBS system going. It was called SOLO and you could bid from home on the Internet.
    It had every great option you could ever want, for example you could bid ( this is only a few of the choices available)
    -by days off or days worked
    -by route
    -by pairing #
    -by pairing # on specific days
    -by # of landings per day/per pairing
    -by expenses
    -by checkin time or checkout time
    -you could buddy bid or avoid someone
    -you could bid days off and if you didn't get them you could default to reserve at any point in order to hold the days
    This is what a bid may look like

Weekends off
    award 2 day trips landing in YYZ
    avoid 3 days
    Award pairing 1234 Tue Thur
    Award pairing # 1245 Wed
    Avoid LHR
    Max expenses

The computer awards line by line in order, so by asking for weekends off on the first line, it throws ALL weekend flying out, then it award any 2 day trips that land in YYZ, then your next line, and your next line until you have a block built. Depending on your seniority you can be as exact as you want to be. It's wonderful and you will love it. If you are getting true preferential bidding, you cna have your cake and eat it too!

Thanks for the details in how it works. At DL, we're scheduled to go to PBS in July, with a few practice bids before that. I am looking forward to the change. ANYTHING has to be better than the stalemate we're in now. Having no experience with it, but 20+ years of line bidding where I usually end up with about 60% or less of what I really wanted, it seems too good to be true to be able to "pick and choose". That is how it is being presented to us. My question - How far down the seniority list do the preferences really work? Not everyone can have the weekends off, etc. My fear is that only the top 20-25% will get their preferences and the rest of us will get our lines loaded up with what's left over. Please tell me I'm wrong

Thanks Takeoff for your information... I didn't realize that other companies were looking into PBS as well...

Y'all are helping a LOT more people that just me!

At CO we still use line bids, and it works alright if one is fairly senior and can be online during our trip trade open window to do any trading you might want.
    If you don't get what you want in the bid, it is still possible to trade up to a better trip over the same days (higher time, layovers more to your liking, ect.) during the open window, but trading for different days off can be difficult no matter what one's seniority is.
    I don't know much about PBS to have anything to compare with. Is it something like the slic (sp?) bidding they do at NW?
    How do you bid at AS?

Currently we do line bidding ... I understand SLIC to be an older program that NW uses... I don't know if that program is one under consideration by AS.

Am trying to get a feel for how PBS works in general and of course how it effects junior FAs... no matter what system is in place it's generally good for the senior ones...

Getting the sense tho that as a junior FA you're gonna get pretty crappy lines no matter HOW they're built... either as lines or via preferences... All part of paying one's dues... but that it can be easier to get specific days off with PBS as opposed to line bidding...

Looking at it from the line bidding side, it seems to me that getting the days off you want would be easier with the PBS. Anybody have any first hand experience?
    Let me know how it goes over at AS. We are hearing roumers of a possible change in the way our bases are seperated at CO. I hear they are looking into making our domestic and international flying all one base. I wonder how that will change the way we bid?

At Air New Zealand (International)
    We can bid for days off a max of 3 per 28 day roster and also we can bid for a trip and backup trip. Our system is based on when you last achieved your request and not seniority.. So the longer you dont request the higher your priority and the more chance of getting the really good trips. We also have a golden day which means we get 1 day a year and thats guarranteed off. We can also request to be rostered 1 full weekend off every 2 rosters or to work weekends.

cheers