Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which is the BEST airline to work for?

Default Which is the BEST airline to work for?

Out of ALL of the Airlines in the world, which is the BEST one to work for in your opinion, in terms of routes, pay, benefits, uniform etc etc
    Life is a journey, not a destination

Default uhmmm....

Is this a trick question? :-)

No - seriously, I don't know. I worked for SR until the Grounding and stuff, since then, for LX, and the changes... I don't know..

We work shorthaul up to 12hours a day, with a minimum rest of 14 hours, up to six days, followed by off days. Pay could be better, but it does finance all my needs...

Maybe someone should answer, who has worked for more than 1 (or 2) airlines.

Haha! Not a trick question, just curious.

I start flying with VS after my training in Aug and I can't tell you why I applied to them other than I think they have a good reputation and they are seen as being a 'fun' airline.

I've chatted to lots of people that say VS is fantastic and once you join you never leave etc etc and others who say the pay is not as great there as it is in other airlines.

I was chatting to Jetoverit who works for AirNZ and he said that when he was long haul with them, the routes and salary were awesome.

I guess you just don't know until you join!
    Life is a journey, not a destination

I have heard Continental is awesome to work for because they treat their people really well. Although, in this day in age, I am not sure working for any airline is better than working for any other.... it's a dog eat dog world out there!! I like where I am though at Comair THE Delta Connection.

In terms of job security, and the way the airline treats employees, I would say Southwest. I have worked for SWA for a couple of years, and love my job. We don't get the international routes, or the nice uniforms, but the other employees, pay, benefits, and the attitudes of our corporate leaders make up for the other stuff, I think. 99.9% of the time I am working with a great crew and we have a lot of fun.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Flygirl747
    Out of ALL of the Airlines in the world, which is the BEST one to work for in your opinion, in terms of routes, pay, benefits, uniform etc etc
    The best airlines may be judged by how well they retain their employees...lifers versus a few years. The most senior F/A at my company will be completing her 50th year. I have 20 and I am in the middle of the seniority list.

True, you should judge how good an airline is by how long they've kept their employees. Southwest has been around for 35 years. Our Dallas and Houston bases are so senior that we have flight attendants who've been with the company for 25 years still sitting reserve. There are quite a few "original employees" in all positions within the company, still working for Southwest.

I also think location is a factor.
    Where do you really want to live your working live.
    It is a lot nicer if you don't have to commute when you're tired.

Then there's pay.
    Good pay compensates some of the bullshit.

Its hard to say what the best airline in the world to work for is because there are probably way too many answers - and what good does it do if you are Irish and the answer is Lan Chile? you cant work there anyway. But, if you have the right to work in the US and are looking for a US carrier I definatly think Continental (my second airline) is the BEST!!! I love it because I live in New York City and I can get to EWR super-fast. We have a very modern fleet of beautiful aircraft, and 99% of our crews are awesome - they really balance professionalism (no jokes on the P/A) with warmth and just a fun attitude - 90% of us are at work to have FUN! We fly to more than 30 transatlantic destinations, and we land every 50 feet in Latin America, and have a decent Asian network too, as well as an extensive domestic network - the domestic pairings are tons of fun. A four day can have you layover 36 hours in Halifax or Vancouver or Los Angelas, then 24 hours in Cancun or San Francisco or Boston or Chicago.

There are, however, negatives - our uniforms, for starters. We need new ones! These uniforms are just like American Airlines uniforms - we need something distinct. Plus, there are too many variations - when you look at the girls on a 777 it looks like five airlines came together on a merger and we are all working on the same plane for the first time till the new uniforms arrive!! hehe. Plus, I think people dont mind taking the 757 to Ireland or the UK...but taking that puppy to Stockholm or Paris or Berlin is REDICULOUS!! Maybe it wouldnt be so bad if they added a fourty bathroom in coach or PTVs for the pax to keep them entertained...

People say good things about Alaska, too, and they SAY that AA crews just dont get along - too big of an airline to have unity apparently.. I heard United brainwashes you - the ex-UA people at CO hated it...but you know how people spread rumors...I guess the 15,000 f/as who love UA are there, and thats why they havent quite to come to another airline. You just cant believe rumors and gossip I guess - I am sure UA and AA are great.

What does everyone else say about the pros and cons of their airlines?

Default Air NZ!!!

I 'like' Air New Zealand but wouldn't say I 'love' them or nomintate them..........only because I think the industry has changed and each of our airlines are trying to keep up..............
    'keep the patience' and 'what goes around, comes around', Hell I am clinging onto the hope of that anyway!!!!!!