Thread: face to face with delta

Default face to face with delta

Any info or advice on face to face with delta would be greatly appreciated. I left Northwest at the end of August after a horrible 5 months. Love the job itself.....hated Northwest, or should I say the way the new hires were treated by the veterans. After having soda dumped down my back....being called stupid for working for peanuts......being yelled at for liking the job......Having your crew walk on and say they were going to call in sick when they seen a new hire on the crew list. It's really too bad, It made it very difficult to feel sorry for their labor problems. Which they blamed on the new hires. Yeah the rate at which newhires are leaving is astonishing....close to 50 percent....but...it isn't going to get their money back.

Anyway.....sorry about the rambling....I absolutely love the job, and am only slightly disappointed after six weeks of training and really the only thing I can be called stupid for , is not realizing the total mess between management and employees.

I really would like a shot with Delta, and hope that new hires are at least treated like human beings.

2. Default

Hey, I also have a face to face scheduled for January. I'm so nervous! I really really want to get the job. Let me know how it goes.

It was one of the strangest interviews I have ever been on. They broke us into 3 groups and we rotated to different informational and "interview" areas.
    I suggest being prepared NOT to answer questions about job qualifications etc... Delta uses a S T A R interview process....(very corny). They will ask you questions, non specific as to whether it is work or general. They want you to set up the situation task action result...STAR.

Things like "what is the hardest thing you have ever had to do"?
    Name a time you have gone above and beyond?

Also be prepared....I heard the Phrase "we're bringing sexy back" at least a dozen times. Talking about their red dresses and how they can wear sexy boots. OMG....are you kidding me.

I also heard a couple of them (I was sitting in the back row in one of the sessions.) behind the curtain referring to a couple in my session as crypt keepers. I suspect the are looking for a certain age group and "look"

In my last group session they handed people their applications to complete if they were incomplete. So make sure you bring all info you may have not completed. Such as names and addresses of employers, references..etc...

I then proceeded to take my application and place it in my bag.....thanks...but no thanks.....It all left a bad taste in my mouth. I am not a prude...but I was very turned off by the whole process and the "sexy" talk....and the fact that they would even let things like crypt keeper slip out, for anyone close enough to hear.

Good luck....I'll choose another airline.

On top of the fact that you will be based in JFK and fly out of all 3 airports....OMG...no thanks.

One last thing...if you are a former or current flight attendant, you know how grueling training can be...six days a week.....10 or more hours a day. Well apparently Delta rents out their training facilities....so your training will either begin a 12:00 1:00 or 2:00 in the afternoon. I cant even imagine that.
    Last edited by gottago; December 28, 2007 at 02:07 PM.

This STAR system is a great interviewing method to keep focussed. I remember the numerous interviews with crew babbling and chitchatting around the question I asked...

For those who are not familiar with STAR, just google it

good luck

Frederic

5. Default

The Delta Interview was AWESOME! It was so welcoming and laid back. No other airline interview I been to (continental & airtran) can't compare.

The people that say that they dont like how Delta did the interview just didnt get an offer to training. They are bitter (dont deny it because you are, and if you did get hired you wouldnt be saying bad things about Delta and how things are ran, you would be saying how great things were.)

No they didnt ask specific Flight Attendant questions, but when I interviewed with Continental, They didnt ask specific FA questions either! Also Airtran asked ONE flight attendant related question, and that was the roll playing exercise. Why would they ask specific questions when everyone that applies doesnt have FA expierience! So how would NON-FAs know how to properly answer? They have to make it General Customer Service...So the STAR system works. (at my session there was 2 people out of 13 selected that got an offer that had no FA expierence)

I did get the offer with Delta, but if I didn't, Yes I would be bummed, but I wouldn't bash Delta and say their interview wasn't good when I know it was. Delta is only selecting the best of the best (from what they say) and its obvious that they are being very selected when there are only 1500 FA positions available out of 30,000 applicants!

I'm not trying to start waves with anyone, but lets be adults about these interviews and respect other airlines when they don't accept you. Delta was professional and properly ran. I can say the same about Continental (although dull interview) and Airtran (decent but not as laid back, oh and I did get hired with them but turned them down after I got Delta). Delta isnt the last airline in the world. If they don't want you, move on to another one or TRY AGAIN! I talked to a few Delta FAs at the interview and they said that they had to try 2 and 3 times before they got hired. Once American Airlines starts hiring, I bet some of the same people are going to get turned down and bash them too...

Good luck with your interview and let us know how things turn out! Hope to see you in training or on the line!

6. Default

I dont think you read my post properly...What I said was they asked non work related questions (non-specific) That had nothing to do with work, whether you are a flight attendant or not.
    I also did not bash Delta Airlines, if I did not think highly of them I would not have gone to the interview spend my money to stay overnight.
    My only comments were related to my "experience" in the interview process and I also interviewed with several airlines before I chose my previous airline, and had multiple offers.
    My choice to withdraw my application during the process was for my personal reasons. Whether I would have received an offer or not, I am clueless, It just was not a good fit for me. I feel I made a mistake choosing my previous airline and did not want to make the same mistake twice. This had nothing to do with "Deltal Airlines" as a company, it had to do with my feeling it was not a good fit for me.
    If I offended anyone I apologize, we all have to make our decisions based on our needs and what we think is a good fit for ourselves.
    I was replying to many questions about how the interview process went. If you are offended that Delta is not a good fit for me...I apologize.
    You should probably not assume everyone is "Bitter Betty", if they choose to express their personal experience. I apologize again if I offended any Delta or future Delta employees.

7. Default I know this is an old thread, but...

Quote Originally Posted by gottago View Post
    It was one of the strangest interviews I have ever been on. They broke us into 3 groups and we rotated to different informational and "interview" areas.
    I suggest being prepared NOT to answer questions about job qualifications etc... Delta uses a S T A R interview process....(very corny). They will ask you questions, non specific as to whether it is work or general. They want you to set up the situation task action result...STAR.

Things like "what is the hardest thing you have ever had to do"?
    Name a time you have gone above and beyond?

Also be prepared....I heard the Phrase "we're bringing sexy back" at least a dozen times. Talking about their red dresses and how they can wear sexy boots. OMG....are you kidding me.

I also heard a couple of them (I was sitting in the back row in one of the sessions.) behind the curtain referring to a couple in my session as crypt keepers. I suspect the are looking for a certain age group and "look"

In my last group session they handed people their applications to complete if they were incomplete. So make sure you bring all info you may have not completed. Such as names and addresses of employers, references..etc...

I then proceeded to take my application and place it in my bag.....thanks...but no thanks.....It all left a bad taste in my mouth. I am not a prude...but I was very turned off by the whole process and the "sexy" talk....and the fact that they would even let things like crypt keeper slip out, for anyone close enough to hear.

Good luck....I'll choose another airline.

On top of the fact that you will be based in JFK and fly out of all 3 airports....OMG...no thanks.

One last thing...if you are a former or current flight attendant, you know how grueling training can be...six days a week.....10 or more hours a day. Well apparently Delta rents out their training facilities....so your training will either begin a 12:00 1:00 or 2:00 in the afternoon. I cant even imagine that.
    Quote Originally Posted by gottago View Post
    I dont think you read my post properly...What I said was they asked non work related questions (non-specific) That had nothing to do with work, whether you are a flight attendant or not.
    I also did not bash Delta Airlines, if I did not think highly of them I would not have gone to the interview spend my money to stay overnight.
    My only comments were related to my "experience" in the interview process and I also interviewed with several airlines before I chose my previous airline, and had multiple offers.
    My choice to withdraw my application during the process was for my personal reasons. Whether I would have received an offer or not, I am clueless, It just was not a good fit for me. I feel I made a mistake choosing my previous airline and did not want to make the same mistake twice. This had nothing to do with "Deltal Airlines" as a company, it had to do with my feeling it was not a good fit for me.
    If I offended anyone I apologize, we all have to make our decisions based on our needs and what we think is a good fit for ourselves.
    I was replying to many questions about how the interview process went. If you are offended that Delta is not a good fit for me...I apologize.
    You should probably not assume everyone is "Bitter Betty", if they choose to express their personal experience. I apologize again if I offended any Delta or future Delta employees.
    If you withdrew your application after leaving the F2F, then you weren't getting the job anyway, or only had an outside shot. But I think you already knew that as any potential interviewee does their homework before going on ANY interview and you would have known that they extend CJO on that day. And about the "downsides" of the job...you know the lifestyle of the working FA, but you have a problem with it now since they didn't pick you. Just petty....petty and bitter.

Amazing how the experience is "weird" and "strange" only for the people that don't get extended CJO....I wonder why that is? (sarcasm)

Well, have fun cursing on the other side of the fence.
    Last edited by Grimmstone; January 2, 2012 at 12:18 PM.