Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Updates on XPO airlines.

Default Updates on XPO airlines.

Here's a new topic to post any updates about XPO airlines.
    Thanks.
    " You can take a trip around the world without leaving your living." BV 3000

2. Exclamation Startup XPO Airlines aims for Asian market

BRENT JANG
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009
    Fledgling XPO Airlines Inc. plans to operate flights between Canada and Asia, hoping to fill a market vacated last month by Singapore Airlines and also take advantage of reduced seat capacity on Air Canada's transpacific routes.
    XPO's departures would be offered initially from Vancouver, with plans to add Toronto later. It is seeking to tap into demand for charter flights to and from Asian destinations, likely starting with South Korea and then expanding into Japan.
    The goal is to launch by the end of 2009 or early 2010, subject to financing from private equity and other investors.
    The new company is being headed by Ontario financier James Hultquist-Morrissey and several staff who formerly worked at transatlantic discounter Zoom Airlines, which was shut down last August by Scotland's Boyle brothers, the majority owners of Ottawa-based Zoom.
    Mr. Hultquist-Morrissey had toyed with the idea of reviving the Zoom brand name, but now figures there is too much baggage attached to it, opting for XPO, which is short for Cross Pacific Ocean.
    He said the transpacific market isn't as cutthroat as transatlantic competition, but noted that Oasis Hong Kong Airlines Ltd. offered service between Vancouver and Hong Kong for less than 10 months, before cancelling its discount flights in 2008.
    XPO doesn't intend to fly to Hong Kong initially, said Mr. Hultquist-Morrissey, who added that his group is undeterred by high fuel prices and the recession.
    Canadian Transportation Agency spokesman Marc Comeau confirmed Tuesday that XPO has filed an application for “non-scheduled international service for large aircraft.” The regulatory agency is awaiting more information from XPO to complete the application.
    The International Air Transport Association cautioned Tuesday that revenue from business class and first class sank 35 per cent to 40 per cent in the first quarter for global carriers, but Mr. Hultquist-Morrissey said XPO is aiming to be a “premium-value carrier” that delivers better-quality economy seats and service.
    Singapore Airlines halted its service in late April between Vancouver and Singapore, via Seoul. And Air Canada slashed its transpacific seat capacity by 23.3 per cent in the first four months of 2009, compared with the same period last year.
    Earlier this year, Mr. Hultquist-Morrissey said he was considering acquiring the leases of Zoom's 269-seat Boeing 767s, but he has shifted his strategy to target other 767s.
    His management team is looking to hire roughly 150 people to get started, including pilots, flight attendants, ground crew and dispatchers.
    © The Globe and Mail

source website link : http://business.theglobeandmail.com/.../Business/home

hum.....i wonder when they will be hiring

4. Default

News from globeandmail.com
    Japan-Canada charters envisaged for 2010

Wednesday, May 27, 2009
    Brent Jang

A new charter service that would fly tourists from Japan to Canada is being envisaged by Research Capital Corp. analyst Jacques Kavafian. Mr. Kavafian, who went on a fact-finding trip to Japan last week on behalf of Canadian investors, said yesterday there is an opportunity to tap under-served Japanese markets such as Sapporo, Fukuoka, Sendai and Nagoya. He said he doesn't expect to take a stake in the airline venture, but he could become a consultant. Canadian destinations may include Vancouver, Yellowknife, Calgary, Toronto and Montreal. Research Capital could raise money for the venture, which would start by mid-2010 with two 269-seat Boeing 767s, said one industry insider. Ontario financer James Hultquist-Morrissey also has plans for charters between Asia and Canada.

https://secure.globeadvisor.com/serv...ERA27ART1916-1

5. Default

News from globeandmail.com
    Startup XPO plans flights between Canada and Asia

Wednesday, May 20, 2009
    Brent Jang

Fledgling XPO Airlines Inc. plans to operate flights between Canada and Asia. XPO's departures would be offered initially from Vancouver, with plans to add Toronto later. It is seeking to tap into demand for charter flights to and from Asian destinations, likely starting with South Korea and then expanding into Japan. The goal is to launch by early 2010, subject to financing. The new company is being headed by Ontario financier James Hultquist-Morrissey and several staff who formerly worked at transatlantic discounter Zoom Airlines, which was shut down last August.

https://secure.globeadvisor.com/serv...ERA20ART1924-3

Default Rumors

Heard that JHM may not be involved anymore.

7. Default

185 not sure who you have been talking to, however your information you submitted is nothing more then false, i can assure you that James Hultquest-Morrissey is still running the airline...

8. Default Jhm

Well I did say it was a rumor. I was speaking to a former Zoom employee that knows some of the former Zoom mgmt still involved.

Can't say I heard first hand but just thought I'd pass on what I heard.

I do find it odd that they (XPO) hasn't given anyone an update as to what they are doing or where they are in their plan.

9. Exclamation

i see that xpo airlines has now put door signs up in the windows at 50 fasken drive (old zoom) building... seems like they are coming out of the wood work but yet still hiding behind the bark of the trees... seems like this could be something very big as they have not been rushing the gun witch causes 99% of start up issues... i would be very surprised if we don't see something big coming in the near future with these guys.
    Last edited by guy; July 22, 2009 at 07:52 AM.

10. Default

Yes ‘guy’ your very right it seems as though they are almost too much under the radar and there for something huge is going to happen, question is. What is that that’s going to happen? It appears that with the delay that maybe they are having a problem getting their license and or that they are doing a possible roundabout way? Does anyone know how this could be done without going through transport? My thoughts where this is a few companies that are about to fall out of the sky some that have already such as Enerjet which I think got lost in the camp fire and is now just burning up money, then again maybe it would make more sense to go after Singapore, Iceland or someone else over that way however yes indeed this would be a huge cost however making it a national carrier out of the gate would be insane. Would it be possible to buy that carrier and then just start flights? It’s my understanding that you can but as a ground crew member I’m not sure at this time what’s legal and what’s not legal. Anyone else have any insight to this?
    Last edited by hubart_rogers; July 22, 2009 at 01:56 PM.